Watching fat and calories? Vegetable Soup with Chicken & Tortellini is both low in fat and calories, but very big on flavor. While this soup can be made in the slow cooker unattended, it can also be made on the stovetop in less than 30 minutes. If there is either a bag of poached chicken from the Poached Chicken Module or turkey breast chunks from the Slow Cooker Turkey Breast Module, this soup is especially quick, but deli rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken can also be used.
This is the perfect soup to make when it’s time to clean out the vegetable bin in the refrigerator; other vegetables that are on hand can be substituted for those called for in the recipe. Pair it with a crusty loaf of Italian bread, or a salad or sandwich.
12 cups chicken broth, (bouillon is okay)
2 cups finely chopped onion
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
4 cups cabbage, finely chopped
2 cups frozen green beans
3 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2" chunks
2 cups poached chicken breasts from the poached chicken module, chopped
1 7 ounce package cheese-filled tortellini, (dried)
- Slow Cooker: Place the chicken broth, onions, carrots, and celery in the crock of a slow cooker.
- Cover, turn to low, and cook 2-4 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients, cover, and let cook until the pasta is tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Stovetop: Place the chicken broth, onions, carrots, and celery in a large soup pot.
- Cover and bring to a boil; turn the heat down and simmer until the vegetables are almost tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook 10-15 minutes or until the pasta is just cooked.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 131 Calories from Fat 30
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 23% Protein 27% Carb. 50%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 18 mg
Sodium 1604 mg
Total Carbohydrate 16 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 9 g
Vitamin A 58% Vitamin C 31% Calcium 0% Iron 6%