Almost everyone gathers with family or friends for a picnic or barbecue on Memorial Day; it’s the holiday that kicks off a season of outdoor dining, lots of grilling, and plenty of salads and summer side dishes. Coleslaw, in its many varieties, goes well with almost everything served outdoors or at picnics, whether it’s pulled pork sandwiches, grilled steaks, barbecued ribs, or fried chicken. The following Apple Cabbage Slaw is very refreshing, and has a sweet and sour vinaigrette with crunchy tart apples. It can be made ahead, and is very easy to put together since it starts with a packaged coleslaw; the quick dressing has minimal ingredients and can be whisked or whizzed in the blender in a matter of seconds.
If a crunchy, colorful salad is needed for al fresco dining, Apple Cabbage Slaw is perfect and will become a favorite.
1 16 oz. package coleslaw mix
2 Granny Smith apples or other tart variety
2 green onions
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Place the coleslaw mix in the freezer while preparing the remaining ingredients (15-20 minutes).
- Cut each of the apples into 8 wedges; cut out the core, then slice each lengthwise into thin, long slices.
- Slice the wedges crosswise very thinly; place the apples in a large serving bowl.
- Slice the green onions thinly and add them to the apples in the bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a microwaveable bowl; microwave 2-3 minutes or until boiling.
- Remove from the microwave and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Remove the coleslaw mix from the freezer; mix with the apples and green onions.
- Pour the dressing over the mixture and toss.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour or up to 8 hours.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 196 Calories from Fat 96
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 49% Protein 2% Carb. 49%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 203 mg
Total Carbohydrate 24 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 50% Calcium 0% Iron 3%