Looking for a change from the same old baked beans? Here’s a spicy bean dish that is quick and easy, since the sauce is already in the freezer in the form of Basic Creole Sauce (If not, it can be easily made in the slow cooker with minimal hands-on time). Spicy Creole Limas & Bacon contains only 3 ingredients, and makes a great side dish to serve with grilled meats, poultry, or fish. This dish can also be served at a barbecue or outdoor party instead of regular baked beans. The Creole sauce gives the beans a spicy kick.
Lima beans are not always popular with kids or picky eaters, but when they taste these, they may change their minds. After the bacon is cooked crisp, the beans are cooked in the bacon fat until crisp and browned, making them absolutely delicious.
The beans can be made ahead, refrigerated, and reheated on the stovetop, or, they can be baked in a casserole dish, which makes them a good choice for a potluck. These yummy beans can also be finished in the slow cooker, which means no one has to monitor them and no oven needs to be heated.
If you and your guests like spicy side dishes, Spicy Creole Limas & Bacon will be a hit; there will be no leftovers and everyone will want the recipe.
8 ounces bacon
1 pound frozen lima beans
3 cups Basic Creole Sauce
- Dice the bacon, place it in a large skillet, and cook it over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove the bacon to drain on paper towels.
- Add the lima beans to the skillet; stir over medium-high heat in the bacon fat until crisp (there will be some liquid from the frozen limas - it will evaporate as the limas brown).
- When the limas are browned, drain any visible fat, and stir in the Creole sauce.
- Heat until boiling, stir and lower the heat; simmer until the lima beans are tender- 10-15 minutes.
- Slow Cooker: Mix the browned limas, crisp bacon, and Creole sauce in the crock of a slow cooker. Stir and cook with the lid slightly tilted to reduce the amount of liquid, 2-3 hours.
- Oven Baked: Mix the browned limas, crisp bacon, and Creole sauce in a casserole dish. Cover and bake in a 350° oven for one hour.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 176 Calories from Fat 61
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 35% Protein 22% Carb. 43%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 11 mg
Sodium 576 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 10 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 24% Calcium 0% Iron 7%