Red Onion Marmalade is a delicious relish that goes well whenever cheese, sandwiches, and appetizers are served. It’s a perfect accompaniment to a Ploughman’s Lunch, or with cheese and crackers. The following Red Onion Marmalade is British in origin, and has been adapted to the slow cooker for those who don’t have time to watch a pot on the stove. It’s great to have in the fridge (and lasts several months if someone doesn’t eat it sooner) for unexpected guests, since it can be spooned over a block of cream cheese and served with crackers, or put in a bowl and served with slices of cheese and baguette slices. It’s great on sandwiches, too.
This relish can also be used in place of caramelized onions in the Ploughman’s Deli Filler, a sandwich filling you’ll love serving to guests.
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup butter
5 pounds red onions, (5-6 large), halved and sliced thin
5 cloves garlic, (large), sliced thin
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red hot pepper
2 cups dry red wine
6 ounces red wine vinegar
6 ounces port
2 teaspoons beef or chicken bouillon
- Turn a 4-6 quart slow cooker to the high setting.
- Add the olive oil and butter, cover, and let melt while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- When the butter is melted, stir in the onions and garlic.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar, thyme, and red hot pepper over.
- Cover and cook on the high setting 6-8 hours, or until the onions are caramelized, stirring once or twice and tilting to lid to evaporate excess liquid during the last 2 hours.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir well, and let cook with the lid slightly tilted until most of the liquid is evaporated, an additional 2-3 hours.
- The marmalade can be stored in sterilized pint jars in the refrigerator for up to 3 months, or it can be frozen for several months.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 129 Calories from Fat 59
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 4% Carb. 40%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium 66 mg
Total Carbohydrate 13 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 10% Calcium 0% Iron 4%