Two things that are in almost everyone’s garden are zucchini and tomatoes. This great casserole, Italian Pasta and Vegetable Bolognese uses them to advantage, and also uses a favorite timesaving module, the Italian Meat Mix Module, which hopefully is already in the freezer. A jar of ready-made spaghetti sauce mixed with the Italian Meat Mix (or a Ground Beef mixture from the Basic Ground Beef Module can be substituted) forms a quick and easy sauce, and is layered with pasta, sour cream, cheese, mushrooms, and garden vegetables to make a delicious casserole, which can be made ahead and refrigerated before baking. As busy as most are during late summer and early autumn when kids are going back to school and we’re working on prepping the yard for winter, this casserole will be a great timesaver.
The official Hancock tasters loved this casserole and most had seconds (growing grandson, Jake had thirds, but who’s counting?). It has been requested several times since its introduction into the family recipe repertoire, and is one that is good to take to pot-luck gatherings, church suppers, and to large families, since it makes a huge casserole. If you’re serving this to a smaller group or family, make it in two smaller casserole dishes and freeze one for another time. To complete the meal, have a crusty loaf of Italian bread handy, as well as a simple green salad.
2 cups Italian Meat Mix from the Basic Italian Meat Mix Module
1 26 oz. jar spaghetti sauce
1 16 oz. package small shell macaroni, cooked al dente in boiling, salted water and drained
6 medium tomatoes, sliced into 1/4" slices
3 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/4' slices
1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
2 cups sour cream
4 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix the Italian Meat Mix and spaghetti sauce together in a bowl.
- Spread 1/2 of the shells over the bottom of a deep 9 x 13" casserole dish.
- Arrange 1/2 of the tomato, zucchini, and mushroom slices over all.
- Spread 1/2 of the sauce mixture over.
- Spread 1 cup of the sour cream over the sauce, then sprinkle with 2 cups of the cheese.
- Repeat to the sour cream.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake 60 minutes.
- Remove the foil, sprinkle with the remaining 2 cups mozzarella cheese, and place back into the oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 471 Calories from Fat 208
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 44% Protein 17% Carb. 39%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 23 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 56 mg
Sodium 713 mg
Total Carbohydrate 46 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 20 g
Vitamin A 32% Vitamin C 48% Calcium 0% Iron 16%