No time to peel and slice potatoes, but need a vegetable casserole for dinner? This Spur of the Moment Zucchini & Potato Bake is perfect. While it does take some time to bake, hands-on prep is about 10 minutes, leaving time to prepare other dishes, relax, or do something more important than cooking. Believe it or not, the secret to this luscious layered vegetable dish is a package of flavored potato chips. The official Hancock tasters especially like jalapeno cheddar chips, but a close second was smoky bacon and cheddar. With so many different flavors of potato chips on the grocery shelves nowadays, this dish can be geared toward whatever else is being served (such as Mexican flavored chips with a Mexican spice on grilled chicken, etc.) . It goes especially well with grilled meat, poultry, or fish, or, for a vegetarian meal, just add a salad.
Besides the potato chips, dehydrated onions are used to save time, but if there are fresh onions, they can also be used (microwave them for a minute or two to soften). And, as a bonus, Spur of the Moment Zucchini & Potato Bake can be assembled in the morning or the evening before serving, refrigerated, and baked just before dinner.
1 1/2 to 2 pounds zucchini, sliced in 1/4" slices
2 tablespoons dehydrated onion flakes
1 8 oz. package flavored potato chips
1 10 3/4 ounce can cond. cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9 x 9 deep casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Arrange half of the zucchini slices over the bottom of the prepared dish; sprinkle with pepper.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the dehydrated onion over the zucchini.
- Place 1/2 of the potato chips over the zucchini, and press them down with your hands.
- Whisk together the soup and milk until smooth; pour 1/2 of the soup mixture over the potato chips.
- Repeat, spreading the soup mixture evenly over the top of the chips.
- Cover the casserole tightly with foil, and bake about 60 minutes or until the zucchini is tender and the casserole is bubbly.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 229 Calories from Fat 124
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 54% Protein 7% Carb. 38%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 3 mg
Sodium 456 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 35% Calcium 0% Iron 5%