Its really a lot more fun to sit down and watch the game than to spend time in the kitchen preparing food for everyone else who is watching the game. The solution: make this delicious Game Day Spicy Sub up to two days ahead of time, pop it in the oven 45 minutes or so before everyone is ready to eat, and enjoy the game. Salads, desserts, and appetizers can also be made the day before serving; there are dozens to choose from on this BellaOnline Quick Cooking site.
Even if it needs to be assembled just before serving, hands-on time is only 10-15 minutes. Once baked, this hot sandwich has a crisp crust with a soft middle. The cheese oozes over the roast beef, so its hard to resist. Serve it with pickled jalapeno peppers for those who like it extra spicy, and lettuce and tomatoes.
1 1-pound loaf French bread
1/2 cup butter
1/2 envelope ranch dressing mix
8 1-ounce slices pepper jack cheese, or other spicy cheese such as jalapeno havarti or chipotle jack
8 1-ounce slices deli roast beef
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Slice the bread into 16 even slices, not cutting quite through the bottom of the loaf.
- Melt the butter in the microwave; whisk in the ranch dressing mix.
- With a pastry brush, cover the insides of each sandwich with a generous amount of the butter mixture. (In between the first two slices, then skip one, then in between the next two slices, then skip one, etc.).
- Cut the cheese slices in half and place a half on each side inside the buttered pieces of bread.
- Fold the roast beef slices in half and place them in between the cheese. You will have 8 sandwiches that are not cut quite through.
- Tear off a piece of foil that is 10" longer than the loaf.
- Brush the foil with some of the butter mixture.
- Place the loaf on the buttered foil, fold the short sides in, then fold the long sides together and seal.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the sandwich is heated through. (If made ahead and refrigerated, the sandwich will take 35-45 minutes to heat)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 433 Calories from Fat 20
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 48% Protein 19% Carb. 33%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 23 g
Saturated Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 70 mg
Sodium 1145 mg
Total Carbohydrate 36 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 21 g
Vitamin A 29% Vitamin C 37% Calcium 0% Iron 15%