Thumbprint cookies are popular year round, but when they are filled with a tart Cranberry Orange Filling (which is not only very easy, but can be made ahead and frozen), as in the following Cranberry Orange Thumbprints they are absolutely perfect for serving throughout the holiday season. By using the versatile Basic Sugar Cookie Mix, these cookies are quick and easy; nobody will guess that they took less than an hour from start to finish.
Other times of the year, these easy cookies can be filled with any kind of jam or jelly (before baking), chocolate ganache (after baking), or prepared pie filling (after baking). Once these festive cookies are baked and cooled, they are drizzled with an easy orange glaze; they are not only delicious, but also very attractive.
About 42 Cookies
3 cups Basic Sugar Cookie Mix
1/3 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup cranberry orange Filling
1 cup powdered sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix the sugar cookie mix, butter, vanilla, and egg.
- Scoop tablespoon-size balls from the dough, roll them into balls and set them about 2" apart on a parchment-lined or greased baking sheet.
- Make a deep indentation with thumb in each cookie.
- Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon filling into each indentation.
- Bake 12-13 minutes or until the edges are beginning to brown.
- Remove from oven and Transfer to cooling racks.
- Mix the powdered sugar and orange juice to make a smooth glaze.
- Drizzle onto the cooled cookies.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 113 Calories from Fat 48
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 43% Protein 4% Carb. 53%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 17 mg
Sodium 77 mg
Total Carbohydrate 15 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 0%