Possibly the most popular variety of cookies, next to Chocolate Chip, are the sandy nut cookies known as Russian Tea Cakes, Mexican Wedding Cookies, or Snowballs. They are traditionally buttery, delicious, and messy, since they are covered with powdered sugar. Most Christmas and holiday cookie trays include a version of this cookie. The following Quick Almond Snowballs are especially quick, since they start with the versatile and easy homemade Basic Sugar Cookie Mix. Toasting the almonds brings out their flavor; they can be spread on a baking sheet and toast for 10-12 minutes while the oven is heating.
A food processor makes easy work of these cookies, but if one isn’t available, the nuts can be finely chopped by hand. The ingredients can then be mixed in the mixer.
About 4 dozen cookies
1 cup whole almonds, toasted
3 cups Basic Sugar Cookie Mix
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place the almonds in the food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Add the Sugar Cookie Mix, butter, and almond extract; pulse until the dough comes together.
- Scoop tablespoon-size balls from the dough.
- Roll them into balls and place them on parchment-lined or well-greased baking sheets.
- Bake 13-16 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Measure a cup of powdered sugar and place on a large plate.
- When the cookies are done, let sit 5 minutes, then roll in the powdered sugar; cool thoroughly on cooling racks.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 101 Calories from Fat 59
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 58% Protein 5% Carb. 36%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 11 mg
Sodium 70 mg
Total Carbohydrate 9 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%