What says Christmas more than chocolate and peppermint? These flavors complement each other beautifully, especially in these festive Chocolate Peppermint Crinkles. These easy cookies start with the extremely versatile Basic Sugar Cookie Mix, and minimal ingredients are added to make cookies that are so good, they belong on every Christmas cookie tray or holiday buffet table.
Rather than unwrap small peppermint candies which takes lots of time, it’s a good idea to purchase candy canes or the large peppermint sticks which are easy to unwrap. Place them in a plastic bag, wrap the bag in a dishtowel, and pound with a meat pounder or heavy object until the candy is the right consistency for the recipe. The candy in this recipe should be coarsely chopped, since a few chunks add extra crunch. These cookies take less than an hour from start to finish, so almost everyone has time to make them.
About 4 dozen cookies
1/4 cup butter
1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate
3 cups Basic Sugar Cookie Mix
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 1/2 cups coarsely crushed peppermint candies
1/2 to 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place the butter and baking chocolate in a microwaveable container; microwave about 1 minute until the butter is melted.
- Stir until the chocolate is melted.
- Measure the sugar cookie mix and cocoa into a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add the butter/chocolate mixture, eggs, and peppermint extract; stir in the peppermint candies.
- When well-combined, scoop tablespoon-size balls of dough, roll them into balls, and coat each with powdered sugar.
- Place on parchment-lined baking sheets 2" apart; press down slightly with the bottom of a glass.
- Bake 12-13 minutes or until set.
- Remove from the oven, sift a little additional powdered sugar over, and transfer to cooling racks.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week or freeze for longer storage.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 87 Calories from Fat 42
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 48% Protein 5% Carb. 47%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 18 mg
Sodium 66 mg
Total Carbohydrate 10 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%