Who doesn’t like green beans? Fresh are best, of course, but the frozen ones are the easiest since the ends are cut off, and they are already blanched and ready to be used in numerous recipes. (Of course there are canned ones, but the high sodium and the overcooked texture aren’t very appealing to most.) Green beans seem to be popular everywhere, even in China, where they serve green beans in both side and main dishes. A great side dish to serve with your favorite Chinese main dish is Chinese Spicy Fried Green Beans. It has minimal ingredients, and prep can be done ahead. It also gives the cook the option of controlling the heat according to personal preference.
This particular recipe was developed after tasting the incredibly good fried green beans at the Brown Door Restaurant in Beijing, China. It has become a favorite with family members who like spicy food. Consider serving this dish during the two week period during Chinese New Year – it’s quick, easy, and delicious.
1 pound frozen whole green beans
1 cup water
3 teaspoons granular chicken bouillon, or 3 chicken bouillon cubes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 to 4 birdseye chili, stems removed and cut into 2 or 3 pieces each
2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- Place the green beans, water, and bouillon in a large microwaveable container.
- Microwave 5-7 minutes or until the beans are just crisp-tender.
- Let cool in the broth. (If you have time, that is)
- Drain well and place on paper towels to remove excess liquid so they don’t pop when added to the oil.
- Just before serving, heat the vegetable oil in a large wok over high heat.
- Add the chilies and let sizzle for a second or two.
- Add the green beans and stir-fry until browned; stir in the garlic about halfway through.
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 76 Calories from Fat 43
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 56% Protein 9% Carb. 35%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 271 mg
Total Carbohydrate 7 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 39% Vitamin C 35% Calcium 0% Iron 5%