With the arrival of the month of March we begin getting our first glimpses of Spring. Those of us in the colder climates will be seeing shoots of green starting to emerge from the cold ground. Sometimes there will even be a few early blooms. Warmer climates are seeing more elaborate displays of spring color. Wherever we are, we canít help but experience the excitement of the promise that summer will soon be here. Winter may still attempt to make a comeback a few times before the end of March but even late snow canít dampen our spirits. We still have that sense of release from being trapped inside and the joy of the freedom to walk in the sunshine.
God is good. He gives us this show of the earthís new birth to paint a picture of our own new birth into the glorious life of Christ. Even in our darkest days, the experience of knowing Jesus changes everything. When winter tries to creep back into my heart, picking up the Bible can remind me that Jesus promises eternal Spring.
- John 8:32 and 36 -- Jesus said that by remaining faithful to His teachings I will be His disciple and I will know the truth. That truth, the truth of God, will set me free. Free from what? Free from the cold dark ground that is life without Jesus. When I am set free by the Son of God, I am absolutely free.
- Romans 8:2 -- Because I belong to Jesus, His life-giving Spirit has set me free from the power of sin that threatens to drag me down into the depths of death. This is a promise I can count on. This is new life!
- Romans 6:22 -- As a believer I have been set free - I am no longer a slave to the power of sin. I am a slave to God and have received the gift of holiness and eternal life.
- Romans 6:4 -- In my baptism, I was buried with Christ. Just as He was raised from the dead by Godís power, I was raised and will live a new life with Him.
- 2Corinthians 5:17 -- Anyone who belongs to Jesus Christ has become a brand new person. He has a new life to live for Christ. The old life that lived for sin is gone forever.
- Revelation 21:5 -- In Johnís revelation, Jesus, the one sitting on the throne told him, ďLook, I am making everything new!Ē
- John 10:10 -- Jesus came that we can have life that is abundant, authentic and eternal.
(Note: The following reflects my inspiration from each passage. To read the actual Scripture, look them up in your Bible.)