Even though the Irish don’t, and it is definitely not part of the Irish holiday celebration, lots of Americans have made it a tradition to serve green food on St. Patrick’s Day. For those who insist on serving green food, Chewy Shamrocks are green, and they taste good, too. The only thing Irish about these chewy treats is the shape, however, since St. Patrick is said to have used the shamrock to illustrate the trinity. Chewy Shamrocks are a perfect treat for those in a hurry; the green marshmallow coating is melted in the microwave, mixed with cornflakes, then pressed into a jellyroll pan. The total hands-on time is about 15 minutes, even for the most inexperienced cook. They are so easy to make, older kids can successfully make them by themselves, as long as they have had experience with a microwave oven.
Although these are not fancy enough to serve at a sit-down dinner on St. Patrick’s Day, they make a great treat for taking to the office or for the kids as an after-school snack. They can be made up to a week ahead and kept in an airtight container. Make sure there is a metal shamrock shaped cookie cutter available; the shallow plastic ones won’t cut through the set mixture. It’s also a good idea to have a rolling pin to press the cutter through.
30 Shamrocks with scraps
1/2 cup butter
1 3 oz. package lime gelatin
1 16 oz. package marshmallows
green paste food coloring, (optional)
10 cups corn flakes
- Line a 17 x 11" jellyroll pan with parchment or waxed paper; alternately spray with non-stick spray.
- Melt the butter in a very large plastic or glass bowl in the microwave; stir in the gelatin.
- Microwave 1 minute and stir well.
- Add the marshmallows and microwave 2 minutes; stir. (Microwave 1 minute more if necessary - the marshmallows should be melted.)
- Stir in the food coloring if using.
- Stir in the corn flakes until well-mixed.
- Spread on the prepared baking sheet; butter hands and press down evenly.
- When the mixture is set, cut shamrocks using 2-3" shamrock cookie cutters.
- Store in an airtight container with waxed paper or parchment between the layers to avoid sticking.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 133 Calories from Fat 28
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 21% Protein 5% Carb. 74%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 8 mg
Sodium 166 mg
Total Carbohydrate 25 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 13% Vitamin C 10% Calcium 0% Iron 5%