The Armetale Vegetable Griller is perfect for cooking these delicious Healthy Stuffed Poblano Peppers. While they can be baked in the oven if a Vegetable Griller isnt available, the oven version will lack the smoky flavor from the grill. This dish is a delicious Mexican meal in one; the peppers can be assembled ahead, and since it makes 8, half can be frozen for another day.
The filling contains shredded pork from the Basic Shredded Pork Module, but you can substitute shredded chicken, beef, pork or even leave the meat out entirely for a vegetarian version. Quinoa is considered a "supergrain," and it's not only very good for you, it's also easy to cook and tastes good.
No one will guess that these peppers are good for you since they are delicious as well as nutritious.
8 large poblano chili peppers
1 10 oz. can tomatoes and green chilies, such as Rotel
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 cups Cooked Quinoa
1 cup grated cheddar jack cheese
2 cups Shredded Pork from the Basic Pork Module
1 cup medium salsa, for serving
- Wash the peppers, make a slit down the middle of each, and clean out the pith and seeds.
- Mix the filling ingredients and divide between the peppers (about 1 cup each).
- Set four of the peppers on a baking sheet, cover well, and freeze for another day.
- Spray the Armetale Vegetable Griller with non-stick spray.
- Place the remaining four peppers between the grids on the Armetale Vegetable Griller.
- Heat the barbecue grill to the highest setting.
- When hot, turn down to medium and place the Armetale Griller (with the peppers) on the heat; close the lid and let the peppers cook for 40-50 minutes or until the peppers are tender.
- Remove the charred skin, if any, from the peppers before placing on serving plates.
- Spoon a little salsa over each stuffed pepper.
- Serve with the remaining salsa.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 399 Calories from Fat 119
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 30% Protein 25% Carb. 45%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 57 mg
Sodium 614 mg
Total Carbohydrate 45 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 25 g
Vitamin A 168% Vitamin C 287% Calcium 0% Iron 14%