The recipe for Refrigerator Angel Biscuits has been around for decades, but it’s worth reintroducing since it’s perfect for cooks in a hurry who want to serve biscuits that are preservative-free and always ready. The dough is simple to make, and lasts in the refrigerator for a week or two. The only thing the cook has to do is grab a piece of dough that will accommodate the number of biscuits needed, pat or roll out, and cut. They rise high in the oven, and the finished biscuits are so light and flaky, even the most picky southern cooks will be proud.
With this biscuit dough in the refrigerator, it’s so quick easy to make biscuits there will never be a need to serve the canned refrigerator ones, which, of course are never as good as homemade. The batch makes about 4 dozen altogether, so for most, that means fresh, homemade biscuits for many meals. The initial hands-on time for the dough is about 15 minutes. Hands-on time rolling and cutting the biscuits is about 10 minutes; baking about 15 minutes.
48 2” biscuits
1 tablespoon dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
5 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup shortening
2 cups buttermilk
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water; set aside.
- Measure the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the ingredients well.
- Cut in the shortening until it is the size of cornmeal.
- Mix the dough just until moistened; do not overmix.
- Transfer the dough (the part not being used right now) to a zip-type bag and store in the refrigerator
- To bake: Preheat oven to 400°.
- Break off a piece of dough about the size of a walnut for each biscuit needed.
- Roll or pat about 1” thick and cut with a biscuit cutter.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet (or spray with non-stick spray).
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with real butter.
Add the yeast mixture and buttermilk.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 86 Calories from Fat 34
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 39% Protein 8% Carb. 53%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 142 mg
Total Carbohydrate 11 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%