Feeling a bit sinful? Wicked Chicken, takes only about 30 minutes to make from start to finish, and is hot, sweet, sinfully fattening, and absolutely yummy! The inspiration for this dish came from Key Lime Pie: A Culinary Mystery, where the main character, Sadie Hoffmiller, gives her recipe for Evil Chicken. My adaptation has a little less fat than the original (not that anybody should be counting – either recipe has an absolutely horrendous amount), a bit more heat, and more chicken. Since this dish is really quick, make sure to start the rice in the rice cooker or stovetop before starting the chicken; by the time the rice has finished cooking, the chicken will be ready to ladle over it.
Accompaniments such as steamed green veggies and/or a healthy salad may lessen the guilt for serving this heart-attack-on-a-plate, and, of course 30 minutes or so on the treadmill or stair-stepper will insure that one will live long enough to eat it again and again.
1 pound bacon, diced (if possible, do not use low sodium bacon, and absolutely do not use turkey bacon)
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1" chunks
3 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
- Place the bacon in a large skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, but not quite crisp.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat into a measuring cup; set aside
- Add the chicken to the skillet and sprinkle with the chili powder and cayenne pepper.
- Stir over medium-high heat until the chicken is browned (but not cooked through) and the bacon is crisp.
- Mix the brown sugar with 1/4 cup of the reserved bacon fat and 1/2 cup water.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken and bacon.
- Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the brown sugar is dissolved and the mixture glazes the chicken cubes.
- Stir well and serve over hot rice.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 413 Calories from Fat 186
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 45% Protein 34% Carb. 21%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 21 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 99 mg
Sodium 524 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 36 g
Vitamin A 24% Vitamin C 18% Calcium 0% Iron 14%