Although zucchini is now readily available year round, late summer seems to be the time when everyone wants new recipes, most likely because there is usually an abundance coming from the garden (or the neighbor’s garden) and it’s cheap at grocery stores and farmer’s markets. Thousands of recipes exist, but some are really good and stand out – they are actually good enough to serve on a special occasion or to company. Zucchini Cream Cheese Soufflé is one such recipe; it’s perfect to serve for a summer luncheon with soup or salad, or it makes a delicious side dish to grilled meats, poultry, or fish.
1 pound shredded zucchini
1 cup small curd cottage cheese
1 3 oz. package cream cheese
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray an 8" soufflé dish with non-stick spray.
- Place the zucchini with 1/4 cup water in a microwaveable container; microwave 5 minutes on high power.
- Pour the zucchini into a strainer and press with the back of a spoon to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Meanwhile, place the cottage cheese, cream cheese, egg yolks, flour, melted butter, salt, and black pepper in the bowl of a food processor.
- Process until smooth, scraping the sides two or three times.
- Add the zucchini and pulse a few times to mix it in.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites and cream of tartar to stiff peaks.
- Fold the zucchini mixture into the egg whites and pour the mixture into the prepared soufflé dish.
- Place a large pan in the oven; pour hot water into the pan about 1" deep.
- Place the soufflé in the pan of water.
- Bake 65-75 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean; serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 201 Calories from Fat 124
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 62% Protein 22% Carb. 16%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 168 mg
Sodium 470 mg
Total Carbohydrate 8 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 11 g
Vitamin A 17% Vitamin C 11% Calcium 0% Iron 6%