Truth a Proven Stress Buster
At the time of this writing, a thunder storm is approaching. I am reluctant to cut the power to my computer even though one errant lightning strike could toast its components.
Because of the belief that we need to work to achieve anything, we even become stressed in the effort to become spiritual. We read books on spirituality and attend seminars. We practice different religious rituals to be sure we honor God. In our self-centered nature, we believe that spirituality depends on how hard we work at it. Seldom do we sit and quiet our minds enough to listen to what God has to say to us.
Our Father in heaven – our Creator – didn’t make it difficult to discover the Truth. We make it difficult through our own belief that it should be hard to find.
- Believe that God is the Creator of heaven and earth.
- Believe that rebelling against his authority is called sin and is offensive to him. We have all rebelled and there is no one who does not sin.
- Believe that God became a man and came to live with us. That man is Jesus Christ.
- Believe that Jesus died as payment for our sin. He was buried and, three days later, was resurrected by God’s power.
- Jesus now reigns as King at the right hand of God the Father and anyone who comes to him in belief and trust receives eternal life in his love and care.
This is a simple Truth. However, many of us are running too fast to take hold of it. Even after we believe, we are often still working hard trying to earn Jesus’ love. This is human nature. It has always been that way. Around 700 years before Jesus was born, the prophet Isaiah gave God’s message to the Israelites.
“In repentance and rest you will be saved. In quietness and trust is your strength. But you were not willing.” Isaiah 30:15 (NAS)
* Repentance is a change of mind and heart. Repenting involves changing directions. It is turning away from sin and turning toward God.
So, I will ask Jesus to remind me to stop my striving, turn off my mental planning and many forms of technology. I will make time in my schedule to rest, to be quiet, and to trust in God’s strength. I will be quiet enough to hear his voice of wisdom.
p.s. Yes, I did turn off and unplug my computer until the storm passed.
A Walk With the Women of the Bible
EBook by Lynne Chapman
Join me in getting to know some amazing
women of the Bible
while we extract valuable insights and
lessons from their lives.
Now available for Kindle under new title
A Walk With EVE
Also availble in paperback from Cafe Press.
Names of God Ebook
Almighty God. The Creator of heaven and earth.
Our God is given names in Scripture that
describe the characteristics of His personality.
Experience God through the names given Him in Scripture.
You Should Also Read:
A Bibllical Promise for Tough Times
Stress Relief a Lesson From the Bible
Anxiety or Peace of Mind
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Lynne Chapman. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Lynne Chapman. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Lynne Chapman for details.