Most of us agree that it’s important to send the kids to school with a good breakfast in their stomachs. But who has time? Actually, with these quick and easy Microwave Eggs in a Nest, you do! As a bonus, these scrumptious little casseroles use up some of that ever-present zucchini, and the zucchini portion can be prepared the night before and kept in the fridge. If using bacon, the cooked, crumbled kind in the package works well, or if using ham, you can purchase it already chopped, although it takes only about 1 minute to chop it.
It’s a good idea for an adult to be present when young children are using the microwave, but older kids can make these themselves. They are so quick, however, that Mom or Dad can make them in 10-15 minutes hands-on time so the entire family can eat together. Serve them with a piece of toast, a bagel half, or an English muffin.
2 cups finely shredded zucchini
1 teaspoon granular chicken bouillon
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup cooked bacon, or chopped ham
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Spray 4 1/2-cup ramekins or microwave-safe bowls with non-stick spray.
- Place the zucchini, granular bouillon, and water in a microwaveable bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Drain well and divide the zucchini between the ramekins, pressing up the sides with a spoon.
- Place a tablespoon of the bacon or ham in the center of each; top with an egg.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon whipping cream over each egg; sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover the ramekins with plastic wrap and microwave on high power 3-4 minutes or until cooked through.
- Sprinkle with a little chopped parsley and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 177 Calories from Fat 122
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 69% Protein 24% Carb. 7%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 240 mg
Sodium 279 mg
Total Carbohydrate 3 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 10 g
Vitamin A 16% Vitamin C 12% Calcium 0% Iron 6%