Having a group over to watch the game but don’t have time to prepare food? Bold & Spicy Game-time Brats take about 15-20 minutes hands-on time to assemble, and the slow cooker does the rest. You can even assemble the brats the night before and reheat them just before game time. Not fru-fru food by any means, these hearty sausages are served on store-bought French rolls. Chips are a good accompaniment, as well as a make-ahead salad such as coleslaw, macaroni, or potato. You can vary the type of sausage – just use your favorite uncooked variety.
These brats are not only cheaper than purchasing blah ready-made food, take-out, or pizza delivery, they are better. Bold & Spicy Game-Time Brats will be a winner every time they’re served; it’s too bad that isn’t the case with your favorite team.
3 pounds uncooked bratwurst sausages, or other favorite uncooked variety such as New York, Italian (hot or mild), etc.
1 16 oz. can beer
2 cups catsup
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup brown sugar (use 3/4 cup if you prefer less sweet)
1 to 4 tablespoons chipotle chili in adobo sauce, chopped (depending on how spicy the sausage is and how spicy your preferences are)
12 crusty French rolls
- Brown the sausages on all sides; transfer to a 4-5 quart slow cooker.
- Pour the beer over the sausages.
- Mix the brown sugar and dry mustard; add to the sausages along with the Worcestershire and catsup.
- Mix well, tilt the lid slightly (so the sauce will thicken), and turn the slow cooker to high.
- Let cook 4-8 hours until the sauce has thickened; if it is convenient, stir once or twice during cooking.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 525 Calories from Fat 271
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 52% Protein 15% Carb. 32%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 30 g
Saturated Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 68 mg
Sodium 1290 mg
Total Carbohydrate 41 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 20 g
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 15% Calcium 0% Iron 17%