If there’s still a zucchini or two sitting around, these Mummies in their Coffins would make a perfect dinner, either tonight or on Halloween. They are actually medium-size zucchini squashes stuffed with a healthy ground turkey, brown rice, and vegetable mixture; the mummy bandages are plain yogurt squeezed through the corner of a plastic bag. Because these mummies are scary looking, and scary and gruesome-looking dishes are in demand around Halloween, even the kids will eat their veggies with no complaints. If the kids balk about the zucchini shell (the coffin), don’t worry; the yummy filling contains lots of hidden vegetables that they won’t even notice.
These scary mummies can be made ahead and reheated (cover with foil); the yogurt should be piped on just before serving. Of course, these yummy mummies can be served year round; just serve the yogurt on the side and call them stuffed zucchini.
2 pounds medium zucchini, (4 medium)
1 pound ground turkey
2 cups cooked brown rice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup packed chopped fresh spinach
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
1 cup dry bread crumbs, preferably whole wheat
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup nonfat yogurt
Dried cranberries, for eyes
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, and hollow out, leaving 1/4 " shell.
- Mix the ground turkey, brown rice, lemon juice, garlic, onions, carrots, bread crumbs, egg, salt, peppers, and zucchini pulp.
- Place the hollowed squashes in a 9 x 13" baking dish; divide the filling among the squashes.
- Pour the chicken broth around the bottom of the mummies.
- Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes.
- When ready to serve, measure the yogurt into a sandwich bag; cut a small piece from the corner and pipe lines to resemble a mummy wrap.
- Press two dried cranberries in the top of each mummy for eyes.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 239 Calories from Fat 55
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 23% Protein 29% Carb. 48%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 69 mg
Sodium 563 mg
Total Carbohydrate 29 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 17 g
Vitamin A 53% Vitamin C 25% Calcium 0% Iron 13%