It seems that most of us are always looking for great new Thanksgiving side dishes, especially ones that are easy and can be made ahead. Bleu Bacon Butternut Squash Bake is a showstopper vegetable dish that can not only be prepared a couple of days ahead of the big day, it’s delicious and special enough for the most important guests (family, of course!).
Although it doesn’t take much time to peel and cut butternut squash, you can save even more time by purchasing it already peeled and cut into chunks at most grocery and warehouse stores. Baby spinach comes washed and recipe ready, too, so there is very little hands-on prep. Freshly cooked bacon is always better, but packaged crisp, crumbled bacon can be substituted to save even more time.
2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2" squares
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 pound bacon, chopped
10 ounces fresh baby spinach
Freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9 x 13" glass casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Place the butternut squash and chicken broth in a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Turn down to a simmer and let cook until the squash is just tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp and browned; drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Press the spinach down on the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Pour the squash (with liquid) over the spinach and sprinkle with pepper.
- Scatter the drained bacon pieces and blue cheese evenly over the squash.
- Bake until bubbly, 25-30 minutes.
Note: To prepare ahead cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to two days. The chilled casserole may take a little longer to bake.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 138 Calories from Fat 53
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 39% Protein 18% Carb. 44%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 12 mg
Sodium 533 mg
Total Carbohydrate 15 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 227% Vitamin C 59% Calcium 0% Iron 10%