To most of us, Thanksgiving “Leftovers” are as important as the traditional dinner itself. Even though our family ate Thanksgiving dinner at Grandma’s while I was growing up, my mother always made a batch of rolls and cooked a turkey so there would be plenty to snack on later that evening and for the next few days. The slow cooker makes it very easy to prepare a batch of delicious Thanksgiving Leftovers in minimal hands-on time, and there will be plenty of moist and juicy turkey for sandwiches, as well as plenty of stuffing. Alternatively, if you’re hosting a Thanksgiving dinner at your home with only a few guests, this recipe is a quick and easy way to serve a traditional turkey dinner without having too much food or having to do too much work. In that case, pair it with mashed potatoes and gravy (the packet is inside the turkey breast), a fancy vegetable, and Homemade Dinner Rolls.
2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" thick chunks
Salt and pepper to taste
1 medium onion, sliced
2 6 oz. packages stuffing mix, such as Stove Top
2 cups water
1/4 cup dried cranberries, (optional)
1/4 cup slivered almonds, (optional)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
6 pounds bone-in turkey breast with skin
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Spray the inside of the crock of a 6-7 quart deep slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Arrange the sweet potato chunks over the bottom of the crock; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the onion over the sweet potatoes.
- Stir together the stuffing mix, water, cranberries, and almonds in a bowl; spread evenly over the onions and sweet potatoes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet; brown the turkey breast on all sides over high heat.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place on top of the stuffing.
- Cover the slow cooker, turn to the low setting, and let cook 4-6 hours or until the turkey is just cooked through and an instant read thermometer reads 140° when inserted into the thickest part of the breast (the turkey will continue cooking a little as it sits so don’t overcook).
- Remove the turkey breast from the slow cooker to a serving platter; stir the stuffing and arrange it around the turkey.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 593 Calories from Fat 215
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 36% Protein 36% Carb. 28%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 24 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 127 mg
Sodium 606 mg
Total Carbohydrate 41 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 54 g
Vitamin A 304% Vitamin C 31% Calcium 0% Iron 34%