The headline should read: Extra, Extra – Slow Cooker Saves Thanksgiving Day! One of the few times in the year that extra burners are needed on the stovetop and an extra oven or two would be very helpful, slow cookers can come to the rescue on Thanksgiving Day. Slow cookers come in all shapes and sizes, including one especially convenient type, for times that several dishes need to be prepared, which has three 1 1/2 quart slow cookers in one. Most slow cookers are inexpensive, but last for years. Thrift stores often have slow cookers for sale, too. Not only are slow cookers great for cooking on the counter, they are wonderful for keeping food warm on the buffet table. It’s impossible to have too many of these simple, but remarkable appliances. Thanksgiving side dishes such as the following Slow Cooker Candied Yams and Cranberries can be made easily in the slow cooker and kept on the warm setting until time to serve dinner.
Slow Cooker Candied Yams and Cranberries is one side dish that won’t need to take up precious oven space on the big day.
2 pounds yams, or sweet potatoes
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup fresh cranberries
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup orange juice concentrate
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Peel the yams or sweet potatoes; slice 1/2" thick and cut the slices in half.
- Arrange the chunks evenly in the crock of a 1 1/2 - 3 quart slow cooker; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Scatter the cranberries over the yams and top with the butter, brown sugar, and orange juice concentrate.
- Cover, turn to the low setting, and let cook until the yams are tender, 3-5 hours.
- Mix the water and cornstarch until smooth; push the yams aside and stir into the liquid.
- Stir and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 245 Calories from Fat 56
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 23% Protein 3% Carb. 74%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 16 mg
Sodium 107 mg
Total Carbohydrate 46 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 168% Vitamin C 51% Calcium 0% Iron 8%