Got Leftovers? Thanksgiving Leftovers Stuffed Squash is a perfect and delicious way to use up leftover stuffing, turkey, and cranberry sauce. It makes a great after holiday dinner, and takes only 15-20 minutes to put together. Use your favorite small winter squash, such as acorn or sweet dumpling, hollow it out, and microwave while preparing the stuffing. Alternately, the squash can be baked in the oven for 40-50 minutes, but honestly, who has time for that? The squash halves are then stuffed with a yummy turkey and stuffing-based filling and baked. It makes a very nice presentation and goes well with leftover green vegetables or salad.
Using up Thanksgiving leftovers has never been so easy or delicious. In fact, this is a great dish to make even when there are no leftovers: simply prepare a box of stuffing, stir in cooked turkey or chicken from one of the easy modules found on this site, and proceed with the recipe below.
2 small winter squash, such as acorn or sweet dumpling
1/2 cup water
2 cups prepared turkey stuffing
1/4 cup whole berry cranberry sauce, or chopped fresh cranberries
1/2 cup apples, unpeeled and finely chopped
2 cups leftover cooked turkey, diced
6 tablespoons melted butter
salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut the squashes in half, scrape out the seeds and fibers, and place, cut side down, in a glass casserole dish that will accommodate the squashes in a single layer.
- Pour the water over, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave 15-20 minutes or until the squashes are tender.
- Meanwhile, mix the stuffing, cranberry sauce, apples, and turkey.
- When the squash halves are tender, drain off the water in the dish and turn the squash halves cut side up (if necessary slice off a very thin piece of the squash so that it sits flat in the dish); drizzle 1 tablespoon of the melted butter into each of the halves and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Divide the stuffing mixture among the four squash halves and drizzle with the remaining butter.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 447 Calories from Fat 232
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 52% Protein 6% Carb. 42%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 26 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 47 mg
Sodium 709 mg
Total Carbohydrate 47 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 176% Vitamin C 43% Calcium 0% Iron 7%