One of the most popular winter squash varieties is Spaghetti Squash. And although itís delicious served simply with butter, salt, and pepper, it can be adapted to dozens of delicious recipes. Southwest Spaghetti Squash Bake is a favorite; itís easy to put together, can be made ahead, and is loved by the official Hancock tasters. It makes a great side dish to grilled or broiled Mexican-spiced steaks or chicken (marinate in a mixture of 1/2 cup salsa, 2 tablespoons lime juice, and a tablespoon of oil), but it makes a hearty and delicious vegetarian dish, too.
This yummy vegetable dish is good for you; it has 15 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber per serving, as well as Vitamins A and C. Itís great to serve at a buffet for guests, or can be quickly put together for a weeknight dinner. During the winter months when itís cold outside, itís nice to have the oven on while preparing the meal, setting the table, and winding down. This casserole bakes 35-40 minutes, just long enough to warm up the kitchen and get a few things done before dinner.
2 to 3 pounds spaghetti squash
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 4 oz. can diced green chilies
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon taco seasoning
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese, divided
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, and place, cut side down, in a glass baking dish.
- Add 2 cups water and cover tightly with plastic wrap; microwave 25-30 minutes or until the squash is tender. (Alternately, place cut side down onto a baking sheet, cover with foil, and bake in a preheated 350į oven 45 minutes to 1 hour.)
- Preheat oven to 350į.
- Spray an 8 x 8" glass casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Using a fork, remove the spaghetti squash to a bowl, separating the strands.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, green chilies, cilantro, taco seasoning, and chili powder; stir in 1 cup of the cheese and transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered 35-40 minutes or until the cheese is melted and crusty.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 281 Calories from Fat 98
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 35% Protein 21% Carb. 44%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 30 mg
Sodium 482 mg
Total Carbohydrate 31 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 15 g
Vitamin A 18% Vitamin C 22% Calcium 0% Iron 15%