Juicy, Gooey, Spicy, Yummy! Looking for something new and exciting to grill outside? How about Chorizo & Chile Stuffed Hamburgers? The patties can be made ahead and refrigerated for convenience; they have only a few ingredients, and can be put together quickly. Once the grill is heated, these Mexican-flavored burgers take only a few minutes to cook, and the filling, made of cooked chorizo sausage, onions, mild green chilies, and cheese, insures that the burgers stay juicy and ooze plenty of flavor (and sometimes gooey messy stuff, as well); lots of napkins are a must. Regular condiments like catsup and mustard aren’t needed here – fresh guacamole and Jicama Jalapeno Slaw will elevate these burgers to an ethereal level.
While the burgers taste great on regular hamburger buns, if you have an automatic bread machine and a little extra time, they taste even better on homemade Mexican Sandwich Rolls, which take very little hands-on time and have a different texture due to the cornmeal. They also contain green chilies and cheese – Yum!
These unique burgers are great for entertaining; guests will love them. Family members will request them often, and they are so easy to make, it will be no trouble to serve them whenever the craving arises. In fact, you can make extras and freeze them; that way they’ll always be at the ready to grill.
12 ounces Mexican Chorizo Sausage
1 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 4 oz. can diced green chilies
2 pounds lean ground beef
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Brown the chorizo in a small skillet; transfer to a fine strainer and press to remove the fat (this will reduce the published calorie count considerably)
- Mix the chorizo with the cheese, onion, and chilies.
- Divide the ground beef into six pieces.
- Using 2/3 of each piece, flatten to make a large patty; pinch the sides to make a bowl shape.
- Divide the filling between the patties.
- Flatten the remaining meat and cover the filling on each patty.
- Press and reshape the patties with your hands so that no filling is showing.
- Cover and refrigerate until time to grill.
- Preheat grill to high; turn one side of the grill off and place the patties on it.
- Shut the lid and let cook for about 5 minutes.
- Turn the patties, shut the grill, and let them continue to cook until they are cooked through and the filling is hot and melted.
- Serve on hamburger buns.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 565 Calories from Fat 385
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 68% Protein 31% Carb. 1%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 43 g
Saturated Fat 18 g
Cholesterol 158 mg
Sodium 666 mg
Total Carbohydrate 2 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 44 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 18%