What’s in your garden? Trying to think of ways to use up that corn on the cob, zucchini, yellow summer squash, and peppers? Summer Garden Supper Omelet is healthy, yummy, and quick. In fact, it can be made in about 30 minutes, and is cooked on the stovetop so the kitchen doesn’t heat up. It’s almost a meal in itself, and only needs toast or muffins as an accompaniment.
Sometimes we forget how quick and easy egg dishes are when we're deciding what to make for dinner, but it’s nice to be reminded, since this omelet is delicious and filling. Of course, it's perfect for breakfast or brunch, too. For a vegetarian version, omit the ham.
1 tablespoon butter
1 large onion, sliced
3 each corn on the cob, kernels cut off
1/2 pound lean ham , diced
1 pound small zucchini, sliced
1 pound small yellow squash, sliced
1 to 4 large fresh jalapeno peppers, finely diced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Sour cream, for garnish
Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Melt the butter in a 12" non-stick skillet; add the onions and corn and stir-fry until the onions are softened.
- Add the ham and stir-fry 1 minute; stir in the zucchini and yellow squash, cover, and let cook, stirring occasionally, until just crisp-tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, salt, and pepper.
- In the same skillet with the heat set to medium, melt the remaining butter; pour in the egg mixture and swirl to cover the bottom of the pan.
- With a spatula, lift up the sides to allow the egg mixture to run underneath.
- When the omelet is almost set, sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and spread the vegetable/ham mixture over.
- Turn the heat to low, cover the skillet, and let cook a few minutes until the omelet is set.
- Loosen the omelet with a spatula and slide onto a serving platter.
- Cut into wedges and garnish with sour cream and parsley.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 258 Calories from Fat 109
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 42% Protein 26% Carb. 32%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 12 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 237 mg
Sodium 795 mg 33%
Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 17 g
Vitamin A 56% Vitamin C 102% Calcium 0% Iron 12%