One of the misconceptions of using a slow cooker is that everything cooked in it takes several hours to cook. Actually, there are dozens of dishes that can be made in a slow cooker in less than two hours. The advantage is that no one needs to be around to check the food; it cooks on its own without worries. Another advantage is that slow cookers don’t heat up the kitchen, so they are a smart choice during the hot summer months. Rosemary Orange Pork Roast cooks in about 1-1 1/2 hours in the slow cooker, and has minimal ingredients so that the actual hands-on time is 15 minutes or less. The flavorful juices from the roast are thickened after cooking, and they are luscious spooned over mashed potatoes or rice.
The recipe calls for one of those small (2-3 pound) pork sirloin roasts – enough for about 6 servings; no browning is necessary, so the slow cooker is the only dish to wash afterward. Thick boneless pork chops can be substituted, or even chicken breasts. Leftovers make great sandwiches, too.
2 to 2 1/2 pounds pork sirloin tip roast
1/2 cup white wine
2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
2 teaspoons granular chicken bouillon
1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
3 to 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Fresh rosemary sprigs, for garnish
- Place the pork roast in the crock of a 3-4 quart slow cooker.
- Mix the wine, orange juice concentrate, and bouillon; pour over the roast.
- Sprinkle with the salad dressing mix and top with the rosemary sprigs.
- Cover and cook on low 1 1/2 - 3 hours, or until the roast registers 140 on an instant read thermometer.
- Transfer the roast to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Pour the juices through a fine strainer into a microwaveable container.
- Mix the water and cornstarch until smooth and add to the juices.
- Microwave 2 minutes on high, stir; microwave until boiling.
- Slice the roast, pour the juice mixture over all, and garnish with additional fresh rosemary.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 269 Calories from Fat 104
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 39% Protein 49% Carb. 8%
Nutrient Amount per % Daily
Total Fat 12 g 18%
Saturated Fat 4 g 20%
Cholesterol 94 mg 31%
Sodium 143 mg 6%
Total Carbohydrate 5 g 2%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
Sugars 0 g
Protein 33 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 14% Calcium 0% Iron 7%