Ghostly Potato Puffs are the perfect side dish for gory, meaty body parts. They’re perfect for the annual Halloween BOO-ffet, as well as a family dinner, and they’re easy too. These cute ghosts are just fluffy mashed potatoes with egg yolks to give them body. Once they’re piped or mounded with a spoon onto a baking sheet and a couple of eyes are added (frozen peas), they’re simply baked until set. They can be made a day or two ahead, covered, and refrigerated. Add a few extra minutes to the baking time. The finished ghosts are quite firm, so they are perfect to put on top of a casserole such as cottage or shepherd’s pie, or anything that goes well with potatoes.
Keeping those pesky vampires away can be a real problem on Halloween, so if you’re worried about it, feel free to add a few cloves of roasted garlic from the Roasted Garlic Module. These yummy potato puffs are especially good served with Severed Werewolf “Feet” Loaves. For breads, desserts, and other side dishes, check out Halloween Food on the Quick Cooking site.
8 Servings (about 24-32 ghosts depending on size)
2 pounds potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
1 to 1 1/4 cups hot milk
salt to taste
4 egg yolks
- Place the potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, and add the salt.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil; turn down to a simmer and let the potatoes cook until tender.
- Drain well and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Beat in the butter and enough hot milk to make a fluffy consistency; continue beating until smooth.
- Beat in the egg yolks and transfer to a decorating bag with a serrated tip.
- Pipe small ghosts onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Press two frozen peas into each ghost for eyes.
- Bake in a preheated 400° oven for 10-12 minutes or until heated through.
- Note: if a decorating bag isn't available, simply mound the potatoes on the baking sheet with a spoon into the shape of ghosts.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 221 Calories from Fat 84
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 38% Protein 9% Carb. 52%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 122 mg
Sodium 522 mg
Total Carbohydrate 29 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 29% Calcium 0% Iron 10%