While there are many versions of Chicken Cordon Bleu, the classic seems to be a chicken breast topped with a thin slice of ham and a chunk of Swiss cheese; it is rolled, dipped in crumbs, and baked or fried. A cream sauce usually accompanies this dish. Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Bake incorporates all of these components, along with pasta, for a delicious one-dish meal. Obviously it isn’t the classic version, but it is much easier and quick enough that it can be served on a weeknight. Actually, it can be made the day or night before and baked just before it’s time to eat.
The inspiration for this dish came from Kari Coates, a busy beauty and nail salon owner, who finds time to make this for her family often; it’s one of their favorite dishes, and it needs only a tossed salad as an accompaniment.
1 pound penne pasta, cooked al dente and drained
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 10 3/4 ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
2 cups milk
3 cups grated gruyere or Swiss cheese, divided
2 cups lean ham , diced (about 1/2 pound)
2 to 3 cups cooked chicken breast, cut into 1/2" chunks (about 1 pound)
1 cup panko breadcrumbs, or other dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place the pasta in a large bowl.
- Mix the cream cheese, soup, and milk (blender or food processor is fastest, but a whisk works just fine).
- Stir in the half of the gruyere cheese and mix it with the pasta along with the ham and chicken.
- Spread the mixture evenly in a 9 x 13" casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and scatter the breadcrumbs over the cheese.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until bubbly.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 405 Calories from Fat 212
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 52% Protein 24% Carb. 23%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 24 g
Saturated Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 104 mg
Sodium 594 mg
Total Carbohydrate 23 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 25 g
Vitamin A 17% Vitamin C 5% Calcium 0% Iron 10%