Current Democratic Presidential Candidate.
- " Community colleges play an important role in helping people transition between careers by providing the retooling they need to take on a new career. "
- " Focusing your life solely on making a buck shows a certain poverty of ambition. It asks too little of yourself. Because it's only when you hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself that you realize your true potential. "
- " I cannot swallow whole the view of Lincoln as the Great Emancipator. "
- " I don't oppose all wars. What I am opposed to is a dumb war. What I am opposed to is a rash war. "
- " I opposed the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996. It should be repealed and I will vote for its repeal on the Senate floor. I will also oppose any proposal to amend the U.S. Constitution to ban gays and lesbians from marrying. "
- " If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress. "
- " In the end, that's what this election is about. Do we participate in a politics of cynicism or a politics of hope? "
- " It took a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get to where we are today, but we have just begun. Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. "
- " John Kerry believes in an America where hard work is rewarded. "
- " Money is not the only answer, but it makes a difference. "
- " My first job is to say thank you to those who voted me. Those who didn't, I'm going to get your vote next time. "
- " My job is not to represent Washington to you, but to represent you to Washington. "
- " My parents shared not only an improbable love, they shared an abiding faith in the possibilities of this nation. They would give me an African name, Barack, or blessed, believing that in a tolerant America your name is no barrier to success. "
- " No one is pro-abortion. "
- " Operations in Iraq and Afghanistan and the war on terrorism have reduced the pace of military transformation and have revealed our lack of preparation for defensive and stability operations. This Administration has overextended our military. "
- " That's silly talk... Talk to my wife. She'll tell me I need to learn to just put my socks on the hamper. "
- " The Bush Administration's failure to be consistently involved in helping Israel achieve peace with the Palestinians has been both wrong for our friendship with Israel, as well as badly damaging to our standing in the Arab world. "
- " There are patriots who opposed the war in Iraq and there are patriots who supported the war in Iraq. We are one people, all of us pledging allegiance to the stars and stripes, all of us defending the United States of America. "
- " There is not a liberal America and a conservative America - there is the United States of America. There is not a black America and a white America and latino America and asian America - there's the United States of America. "
- " There's not a liberal America and a conservative America - there's the United States of America. "
- " This budget tells our veterans that if they want increased funding for the VA they'll have to pay for it themselves. "
- " Today we are engaged in a deadly global struggle for those who would intimidate, torture, and murder people for exercising the most basic freedoms. If we are to win this struggle and spread those freedoms, we must keep our own moral compass pointed in a true direction. "
- " Tonight, we gather to affirm the greatness of our nation - not because of the height of our skyscrapers, or the power of our military, or the size of our economy. Our pride is based on a very simple premise, summed up in a declaration made over two hundred years ago. "
- " We have an obligation and a responsibility to be investing in our students and our schools. We must make sure that people who have the grades, the desire and the will, but not the money, can still get the best education possible. "
- " We have real enemies in the world. These enemies must be found. They must be pursued and they must be defeated. "
- " We need to internalize this idea of excellence. Not many folks spend a lot of time trying to be excellent. "
- " We need to steer clear of this poverty of ambition, where people want to drive fancy cars and wear nice clothes and live in nice apartments but don't want to work hard to accomplish these things. Everyone should try to realize their full potential. "
- " We worship an awesome God in the Blue States, and we don't like federal agents poking around our libraries in the Red States. We coach Little League in the Blue States and have gay friends in the Red States. "
- " We're not going to baby sit a civil war. "
- " When we think of the major threats to our national security, the first to come to mind are nuclear proliferation, rogue states and global terrorism. But another kind of threat lurks beyond our shores, one from nature, not humans - an avian flu pandemic. "
- " Where the stakes are the highest, in the war on terror, we cannot possibly succeed without extraordinary international cooperation. Effective international police actions require the highest degree of intelligence sharing, planning and collaborative enforcement. "
- " With the changing economy, no one has lifetime employment. But community colleges provide lifetime employability. "
- " You know, my faith is one that admits some doubt. "
by Barack Obama
Never miss a thing. Join Thrillist -- the daily shot of everything you need to know.
Sign up now
-- it's free and easy