Brunch casseroles are great timesavers, especially when there are houseguests. Just like it’s name, Everything Brunch Bake has everything – ham, eggs, cheese, bacon, potatoes, peppers, onions - that is needed to satisfy even the hungriest guests and family members. To make it easier on the cook, most of the casserole can be made ahead and refrigerated. When ready to serve, simply take out of the refrigerator, sprinkle with cheese, whizz the egg mixture in the blender or food processor, and pour it over the vegetable/ham mixture.
Since this casserole is very hearty and has everything needed for a delicious brunch, the only accompaniments needed are some kind of breakfast bread and/or fruit. The Official Hancock Tasters especially liked it with salsa, all except Mr. Picky (not surprising), who preferred it plain. No matter how you serve it, it’s a nice change from that ubiquitous soggy bread brunch casserole that seems to show up on every holiday.
4 ounces bacon, chopped
2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed and diced into 1/2" pieces
1 small onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 to 3 jalapeno peppers, chopped, (optional)
1/2 pound lean ham , diced
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup half and half
1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place the bacon in a 12" deep cast iron skillet; cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp.
- Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Mix the potatoes and peppers; toss with the bacon drippings (you should have at least 1/4 cup).
- Place the pan in the oven and roast the vegetables, stirring once or twice, until tender, about 60 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the ham and bacon.
- Turn the oven temperature down to 350°. (If making ahead, cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate for up to two days.)
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Whizz the eggs, half and half, and salt in the blender or whisk until smooth; pour over the cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes or until the eggs are puffed and brown and the center is set. If the casserole has been prepared ahead is refrigerated, add 15-20 minutes to the cooking time.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 305 Calories from Fat 149
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 49% Protein 23% Carb. 28%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 17 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 250 mg
Sodium 640 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 18 g
Vitamin A 20% Vitamin C 56% Calcium 0% Iron 12%