Everyone loves potatoes, and they go well with most of the meat and poultry dishes that will no-doubt be served over the winter holidays. Sometimes it’s nice to have a dish that cooks in the slow cooker: no stove burner needed; no oven space needed; no monitoring needed. Slow Cooker Roasted Garlic Smashed Potatoes is a scrumptious side dish and takes a minimum of prep time. The following recipe takes advantage of the timesaving Roasted Garlic Module, but if that isn’t already in the freezer, feel free to roast some garlic in the oven or microwave to use in this dish.
To roast garlic in the oven: simply cut off the pointy end of the heads of garlic, place them in a small baking dish, drizzle the cut ends with olive oil, cover tightly with foil, and bake in a 350° oven for about 45 minutes or until softened. To microwave: Cut the pointed end off of the head of garlic, exposing the cloves, drizzle the cloves with olive oil, place on a microwaveable dish and cover tightly with plastic wrap, and microwave on high power for 3-5 minutes, or until the cloves are soft. After baking or microwaving, let cool, then squeeze the cloves out of their skins. You can mash them with a fork or process in a food processor.
2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-2" chunks
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 tablespoons roasted garlic from the Roasted Garlic Module
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup hot milk
- Place the cut potatoes in the crock of a 2-3 quart slow cooker.
- Pour the chicken broth over all.
- Sprinkle with the dried parsley.
- Add the roasted garlic, butter, and salt.
- Cover, turn to the low setting, and let cook 4-6 hours.
- When the potatoes are tender, add the hot milk and smash them, incorporating the garlic, but leaving a few potato chunks. Add additional milk if necessary.
- Can be kept warm for an hour or two before serving.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 173 Calories from Fat 45
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 26% Protein 8% Carb. 66%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 14 mg
Sodium 299 mg
Total Carbohydrate 28 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 29% Calcium 0% Iron 10%