Slow cookers are a busy cook’s friend. The ingredients for most dishes can be assembled in the crock in a minimum of hands-on minutes, and the food cooks unattended for hours. This different and delicious Thai Chicken and Vegetable One-Pot is no exception. It combines brown jasmine rice with Thai red curry paste and chicken broth, then layers of vegetables. Just before serving, thinly sliced chicken breast is stirred in (it cooks from the heat of the rice), and a can of unsweetened coconut milk is poured over, ensuring a moist and exotic dish.
Thai Chicken and Vegetable One-Pot can be cooked fairly fast on the high setting, or it can cook all day on the low setting. The vegetables come out crisp tender, the chicken moist, and the rice flavorful. It is truly a meal in one pot, and it supplies plenty of vitamins as well as fiber. The heat in this dish can be varied by reducing or increasing the amount of curry paste, and for a different flavor, other Thai curry pastes such as yellow, Panang, or green can be substituted. You can also vary the vegetables, depending what happens to be in your fridge.
1 cup brown Jasmine rice
1 1/4 cups water
1 tablespoon granular chicken bouillon
1 to 3 tablespoons red curry paste (1 is slightly spicy – 3 is extremely spicy)
1 medium sweet potato, cut into 1/2" chunks
1 small red onion, cut into 1/2" chunks
1 8 oz. package edamame (shelled)
1 1/2 cups baby carrots, sliced 1/2" thick
1 1/2 cups frozen green beans
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast halves, sliced into 1/4" slices
1 14 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup coarsely chopped cashews
1/4 cup fresh basil, leaves torn into small pieces
- Measure the brown Jasmine rice into the bottom of a 3-4 quart slow cooker.
- Pour the water over and stir in the chicken bouillon and the curry paste.
- Cover with the sweet potato, then the red onion.
- Sprinkle the edamame over and top with the carrots and beans.
- Cover the crock, set to low, and let cook 4-6 hours (2-3 hours on high), or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the chicken breast halves and coconut milk.
- Cover and cook an additional 15-30 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked through.
- Stir, sprinkle with the cashews and fresh basil, and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 461 Calories from Fat 219
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 48% Protein 21% Carb. 31%
Nutrient Amount per
Total Fat 24 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 38 mg
Sodium 307 mg
Total Carbohydrate 36 g
Dietary Fiber 6 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 25 g
Vitamin A 184% Vitamin C 14% Calcium 0% Iron 19%