Cute Terri Ostler is a busy Mom, flight attendant who travels extensively, and a fabulous cook. Since she can’t spend as much time in her Phoenix home as she’d like, dinner is often something quick. Unfortunately, quick dishes are often high in fat and calories since they use convenience foods, but in order to keep her almost perfect figure, she often prepares the following low fat, low calorie, but very filling and satisfying Terri’s Italian Shrimp and Spaghetti Squash.
This yummy dish can be made in less than 30 minutes, since the spaghetti squash cooks whole in the microwave in only 12-14 minutes. During that time, the shrimp and sauce can be quickly sautéed, and poured over the squash as soon as it’s tossed with a little butter and Parmesan cheese. The Official Hancock Tasters loved this dish, and some of them also loved it over pasta rather than spaghetti squash (the ones who weren’t watching their weight, of course). Crusty freshly baked Italian bread is a good accompaniment.
1 2 pound spaghetti squash
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 pound raw shrimp, tails removed
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
1 bunch fresh basil (more or less to taste - we like lots!)
- With a sharp knife, make several slits in the spaghetti squash to release steam.
- Microwave 12-14 minutes until soft.
- Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and scoop out the squash into a bowl; toss with the butter and Parmesan cheese.
- Meanwhile, while the squash is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet; add the garlic and shrimp.
- Stir over medium-high heat until the shrimp barely turn pink.
- Pour the lemon juice over and add salt and pepper.
- Stir in the tomatoes and basil; bring to a boil, and pour over the spaghetti squash.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 221 Calories from Fat 78
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 35% Protein 38% Carb. 27%
Nutrient Amount per Serving:
Total Fat 9 g 13%
Saturated Fat 3 g 17%
Cholesterol 159 mg 53%
Sodium 472 mg 20%
Total Carbohydrate 15 g 5%
Dietary Fiber 2 g 10%
Sugars 0 g
Protein 21 g
Vitamin A 16% Vitamin C 34% Calcium 0% Iron 19%