Yellow curry is generally the mildest of the Thai curries; it has a wonderful flavor, however, without as much heat. When pork chops are cooked in this easy Pork Chops in Thai Yellow Curry in the slow cooker, they become so tender, they almost melt in your mouth. Besides the pork chops, this curry includes onions, three kinds of bell peppers, and lots of that ubiquitous zucchini. It’s a perfect end-of-summer dish, not only because it uses up zucchini from the garden, but also because the slow cooker doesn’t heat up the kitchen. Since zucchini is available year round in the grocery store, you’ll find this is also a great dish for winter and will find yourself making it often.
Thai food has become popular over the last few years, and the ingredients are easily found, not only in Asian grocery stores, but also in larger mainstream grocery stores on the aisle with Asian food. Lemongrass that is already finely chopped is a real timesaver and is available frozen.
2 pounds pork chops, (6 small)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large onion, quartered and sliced
2 to 3 tablespoons Thai yellow curry paste
3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
3 tablespoons palm sugar, or brown sugar
1 tablespoon finely chopped lemongrass
2 14 oz. cans unsweetened coconut milk
1 red bell pepper, quartered and sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, quartered and sliced
1 pound small zucchinis, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1" chunks
- Brown the pork chops in a non-stick skillet; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Scatter the onion over the bottom of a 4-6 quart slow cooker; place the browned pork chops on top.
- Mix the yellow curry paste, Thai fish sauce, palm sugar, lemongrass and about 1/2 cup coconut milk; stir until smooth.
- Add the remaining coconut milk and pour over the pork chops.
- Cover the slow cooker, set to low, and let cook about 4 hours.
- Stir in the bell peppers and zucchini; let cook and additional 1/2 hour.
- Serve over jasmine rice.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 566 Calories from Fat 337
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 59% Protein 28% Carb. 12%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 37 g
Saturated Fat 28 g
Cholesterol 91 mg
Sodium 687 mg
Total Carbohydrate 17 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 40 g
Vitamin A 34% Vitamin C 98% Calcium 0% Iron 35%