There are two very popular Mexican chain restaurants in the Utah area, Cafť Rio and Costa Vida, that offer sweet pork as an ingredient in their salads, tostadas, burritos, tacos, etc. Itís very popular, and it seems that everyone wants to know how to make it at home. The following Slow Cooker Mexican Sweet Pork is a clone of the sweet pork served at those restaurants, and it is very easy to make in the slow cooker. Hands-on time is only 10 minutes to assemble, and about 15 to shred the pork once itís cool enough to handle.
Make sure you use pork butt or pork shoulder; pork loin roasts and pork tenderloin are both too lean and the result will be very dry. The fat in the pork butt or pork shoulder keeps the meat extremely moist. Once cooked, the juices are poured off and chilled so that the fat hardens and can be discarded.
Since pork butts are quite cheap, this is a great dish to make during times when budgeting is necessary. This recipe makes a lot, so itís perfect for serving a crowd, or if there isnít a crowd, the leftovers can be packaged in family-size freezer bags and frozen for future use as a filling for burritos, tacos, and chimichangas, or as a topping for salads and tostadas.
8-12 cups shredded pork
8 pounds pork butts
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups medium salsa
- Place the pork in the crock of a 6-7 quart slow cooker.
- Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- Press the brown sugar over the top of the roast.
- Pour the salsa over.
- Cover, set the slow cooker to low, and let cook 6-8 hours or until the roast is tender.
- Remove the roast to a platter to cool.
- Strain the juices into a bowl, place in the freezer, and let cool until the fat hardens; remove the fat and discard.
- When the pork has cooled enough that it can be handled, shred, removing all bones and fat.
- Mix with the defatted juices and add additional salt and pepper if necessary.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 284 Calories from Fat 137
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 48% Protein 36% Carb. 16%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 90 mg
Sodium 175 mg
Total Carbohydrate 11 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 26 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 6% Calcium 0% Iron 11%