Moo Shu Jou Pork, which means pork with egg, is a popular Chinese restaurant dish. It is usually time-consuming to make at home and requires several steps. Slow Cooker Moo Shu Jou Pork, made in the slow cooker eliminates several of those steps, and there are fewer dishes to wash. Although the list of ingredients is fairly long, it is quite fast to put together, and every minute spent will be well-worth it.
Before making this dish, it’s a good idea to visit your local Asian grocery store to pick up clouds ears (mo-er mushrooms), tiger lily buds, and frozen moo shu wrappers. Clouds ears are a dried vegetable; they come whole or sliced, and it’s better to purchase the sliced variety because it saves time. Tiger lily buds are also dried. These ingredients are essential to authentic Moo Shu. If you can’t find the wrappers, thin flour tortillas can be substituted, but they aren’t nearly as good. Hoisin sauce is readily available at most large grocery stores, but it is generally cheaper at Asian markets, so pick up some of that, as well as sesame oil.
You can vary the ingredients in this dish according to personal taste. Although pork is classic, chicken or beef can be substituted. You can also double the cooking sauce and serve it over hot rice. If you like your Chinese dishes hot, stir in a little hot chili oil, Sambal Oelek, or Sriracha.
1 cup tiger lily buds
1/2 ounce cloud ears
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons sherry
1 pound pork loin, sliced in 1/4" slices, then into 1/4" wide strips
1 16 oz. package coleslaw mix, preferably without red cabbage
4 green onions including tops, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon finely minced ginger
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sesame oil
24 Moo Sho Wrappers or thin flour tortillas
- Place the tiger lily buds in a bowl of hot water; place the clouds ears in a separate bowl of hot water.
- Mix the marinade ingredients until smooth in a large bowl and toss the pork in the mixture.
- Dump the coleslaw mix into the crock of a 4-5 quart slow cooker; stir in the garlic, ginger, and onions.
- Drain the clouds ears and tiger lily buds; rinse them and stir them in to the cabbage mixture.
- Top with the pork mixture.
- Mix the cooking sauce ingredients and pour over the mixture.
- Cover, set the slow cooker to low, and let cook 3-4 hours or until the cabbage is tender and the pork is cooked through; stir well.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet; beat the eggs well and pour them into the skillet.
- As they begin to set, use a spatula to lift the sides to allow the liquid to run under.
- Cut the slices several places so that you have small squares of egg; set aside until the pork mixture is finished.
- When the pork mixture is cooked, stir in the egg squares and drizzle with the sesame oil.
- To serve, spread a pancake with hoisin sauce; top with a heaping spoonful of the pork mixture. Roll up and eat.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 366 Calories from Fat 101
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 27% Protein 22% Carb. 51%
Nutrient Amount per
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 94 mg
Sodium 854 mg
Total Carbohydrate 46 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 20 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 30% Calcium 0% Iron 5%