Chicken Tikka Masala is, it seems, the most well-known and loved Indian dish, and is popular almost everywhere. It is, in fact, so popular in England, that it is said to be overtaking Fish & Chips as the British national dish.
When made the traditional way, Chicken Tikka Masala takes time; most of us donít have time, so itís nice to know that taking just 20 minutes or so to assemble the ingredients in the slow cooker is all that is necessary. The slow cooker version is just as good as the time consuming kind, and this recipe looks and tastes just like the excellent versions served in England and at higher end Indian restaurants other places.
Basmati rice can be made in the slow cooker, in a rice cooker, or on the stove. Indian Rice Pilau can also be made in the slow cooker and is a delicious, authentic accompaniment to Chicken Tikka Masala and other Indian Dishes.
To cool down the fire in this dish, serve with creamy plain yogurt; you may also choose to serve your favorite Indian raita, which is a yogurt based sauce with vegetables and spices. Iíve included my favorite Cucumber Mint Raita below, and there are several other good ones on the excellent BellaOnline Indian Cooking Site. Indian food is very popular right now, and when you taste this dish, youíll definitely guess why.
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 cup yogurt
4 jalapeno peppers, or other hot green peppers, chopped
2 tablespoons tikka masala spice mix (below)
5 cardamom pods
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
1 14 oz. can tomatoes and green chilies
2 tablespoons tomato paste
juice and zest of 1 lime
- Trim the chicken breasts, cut them into 1" chunks, and place in a bowl.
- Mix the yogurt, jalapeno peppers, and tikka masala spice mix; stir the mixture into the chicken and place it in the crock of a 3-4 quart slow cooker.
- Measure the remaining ingredients into a blender; blend until smooth and pour over the chicken (do not stir).
- Cover, set the slow cooker to low, and let cook 4-6 hours or until the chicken is done.
- Stir before serving over basmati rice or Indian rice pilau.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 360 Calories from Fat 99
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 28% Protein 44% Carb. 29%
Nutrient Amount per
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 107 mg
Sodium 115 mg
Total Carbohydrate 26 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 39 g
Vitamin A 87% Vitamin C 139% Calcium 0% Iron 13%
Tikka Masala Spice Mix
Makes about 1 cup
1 1/2 tablespoons turmeric
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander
1 1/2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons garam masala
3 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons cinnamon
Mix all ingredients together. Store in an airtight spice jar.
Cucumber Mint Raita
Makes about 1 1/2 cups sauce
1 small cucumber, coarsely grated
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried)
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 cup plain yogurt (the thicker Greek yogurt is ideal)
- Place the grated cucumber in a fine strainer and press out as much of the liquid as possible. You should have 1/4 to 1/3 cup drained cucumber.
- Mix with the remaining ingredients and let sit 30 minutes to blend flavors.