Hosting a crowd for brunch, but donít have a lot of time? The following slightly spicy, definitely hearty, Spicy Heart Attack in a Crock may be the perfect solution. Everyone will love it, since it contains almost every popular breakfast ingredient imaginable. It is reminiscent of the old days when nobody worried about fat, calories, or cholesterol. Not only does it contain ham, bacon, and sausage, it contains potatoes, eggs, and cheese. Your guests donít need to know the name of this dish, and they donít need to know the nutritional content. They should be satisfied just knowing it tastes really good.
This brunch dish is easy on the cook, since everything can be prepared the night before, and it can cook through the night, if necessary. Although it needs no embellishment, a bowl of salsa is nice for those who like their eggs saucy, and some guests will enjoy ketchup and/or Tabasco. The only accompaniment needed is toast, biscuits, muffins, or your favorite breakfast bread.
If you happen to have a large rectangular slow cooker, or one of the newer casserole Crock Pots that are the equivalent of a 9 x 13Ē casserole dish, youíll want to use it; otherwise, any large oval slow cooker will work nicely.
1 pound frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
2-4 jalapeno peppers, sliced into rings
1 small onion, diced
1 pound leftover cooked ham
1 pound bacon, chopped and cooked crisp
1 pound breakfast sausages, browned and cut into 1/2" pieces
1 10 oz. can diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning, or favorite spicy seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- Spray a 6-8 quart oval or rectangular slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Crumble the hash browns evenly over the bottom of the crock.
- Sprinkle with the peppers and onions.
- Add the ham, bacon, and sausage pieces.
- Pour the diced tomatoes and green chilies over all.
- Whizz (blender or food processor) or whisk the eggs, seasoning, salt, and pepper until smooth; pour over the casserole.
- Cover, set the slow cooker to low, and let cook 4-6 hours or until the eggs are set.
- Sprinkle with the cheese, cover, and let cook an additional 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 336 Calories from Fat 209
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 62% Protein 28% Carb. 10%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 23 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 314 mg
Sodium 1087 mg
Total Carbohydrate 8 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 23 g
Vitamin A 28% Vitamin C 56% Calcium 0% Iron 12%