Bacon, eggs, potatoes, and waffles come together in the followingWaffle & Omelet Brunch Bake. Itís quick to put together, since it uses convenient frozen shredded hash brown potatoes and frozen waffles. The savory puffy omelet made with potatoes, onions and cheese is complemented by the crunchy waffles, bacon, and maple syrup. Itís addicting. In fact, one of the official Hancock tasters (who didnít want to be named) kept coming back to the kitchen periodically and ate the equivalent of four servings; she couldnít leave it alone.
This brunch bake would be ideal to serve on the 4th of July, Mother's Day, or any time when guests are staying over. Itís also great for a week-end family breakfast. Hands-on time is minimal, and the ingredients are common items that most of us keep around. If peppered bacon isnít available, regular bacon can be substituted Ė just sprinkle with a little coarsely cracked pepper while itís cooking.
1 pound frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
1 small onion, diced
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 pound peppered bacon, coarsely chopped
10 frozen waffles (1 package)
3/4 cup maple flavored syrup
- Preheat oven to 350į.
- Spray a 9 x 13" glass baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Spread the hash browns over the bottom of the baking dish; sprinkle the onions and cheese on top.
- Whisk or blend the eggs, salt, and pepper; pour over the hash brown mixture; bake 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown the bacon on a skillet until almost crisp.
- Turn off the heat.
- Cut the waffles into 1" pieces; toss them in the skillet until they absorb the bacon fat.
- When the hash brown mixture has finished, arrange the waffles over the top.
- Drizzle the maple syrup evenly over the waffles and bacon.
- Bake an additional 20-30 minutes or until the waffles are crisp and the omelet is puffy.
- Dust with a little powdered sugar and serve with extra maple syrup.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 358 Calories from Fat 157
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 44% Protein 17% Carb. 39%
Nutrient Amount per Serving:
Total Fat 17 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 238 mg
Sodium 684 mg
Total Carbohydrate 35 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 16 g
Vitamin A 18% Vitamin C 10% Calcium 0% Iron 15%