It’s rare for my husband to point out a recipe that he wants me to try. Recently, he saw this casserole on Facebook, and forwarded it to me. Since the original recipe didn’t have exact amounts or package sizes, I had to guess a little. The following recipe for Quick Chicken Mexicali Bake is the final version, and looks exactly like the casserole in the Facebook picture.
Chicken Mexicali Bake is very quick to put together due to the fact that it uses convenience foods – canned soup, canned tomatoes and green chilies, a block of processed American cheese, and packaged tortilla chips. Any cooked chicken can be used; I like the taste of grilled chicken, but you can use rotisserie chicken, poached chicken, or chicken from the Grilled Chicken Module, the Poached Chicken Module, or even the Slow Cooker Turkey Breast Module, one of which is hopefully already in your freezer.
This is certainly a dish to make when saving time is more important than cooking healthy; I add a green salad and fresh vegetables for some nutritional points. Remember, too, that even with the convenience foods, this dish is healthier than fast food, and as a bonus it’s so good that my family requests it often and there are never any leftovers.
1 10 oz. can tomatoes and green chilies, (such as Rotel)
1 10 3/4 ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 4 oz. can chopped mild green chilies
1 pound processed American cheese, such as Velveeta, diced
2 pounds cooked chicken breast (grilled or poached), cubed (about 4 cups) (unseasoned)
1 10 oz. package tortilla chips, coarsely crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9" x 13" glass baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Mix the tomatoes and green chilies, soup, green chilies, and cheese; microwave 3 or 4 minutes until the cheese is softened, and stir until it is melted and well-mixed; stir in the chicken.
- Spread half of the chips evenly on the bottom of the prepared casserole dish; cover with half of the chicken mixture.
- Top with the remaining chips and spread the remaining chicken mixture over the chips.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 404 Calories from Fat 194
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 48% Protein 29% Carb. 23%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 22 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 85 mg
Sodium 1060 mg
Total Carbohydrate 23 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 29 g
Vitamin A 19% Vitamin C 3% Calcium 0% Iron 7%