Italian Pot Roast Recipe
Ahh, comfort food. Try this great Italian variation on an classic.
- 5 pound top or bottom round, rump or brisket
- Strips of salt pork or bacon
- 2 Tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 Tbs crumbled rosemary
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine, such as Chianti
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 12 oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup boiling Brodo di Carne
- Heat olive oil and salt pork or bacon in a heavy Dutch oven. Render fat from bacon and remove.
- Salt and pepper the beef on both sides and brown in the pan.
- Add onions, garlic, rosemary, wine, red pepper, carrots, celery, tomatoes, and beef broth. Cover and place in a 325F oven for 3 hours, or until meat is very tender.
- Remove meat from the pan and cover.
- Skim some fat from the sauce and reduce slightly. Salt to taste.
- Top the roast with some of the sauce and serve the extra on the side with mashed potatoes, potato croquettes, or polenta.
You Should Also Read:
Microwave Italian Pot Roast Recipe
Costelette alla Milanese -- Veal Chops Milanese Recipe
Bistecca all Pizzaiola - Steak with Tomatoes and Garlic Recipe
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.