Arrosto di carne, Italian for pot roast, can be prepared also on the stove top using a large pot or a Dutch oven. The meat is first seasoned with fresh herbs (dried will do as needed), seared and browed all over, then slow cooked in a base of broth and red wine until tender. Fresh vegetables are added towards the end for a great combination of flavor and taste.
Serve this roast with polenta and a green salad on the side for an all Italian style comfort meal.
Ingredients and Instructions (serves 6):
- 3 pounds of beef pot roast (chuck is a good choice)
- 2 medium, yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 1 teaspoon of sage
- 1 cup of red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Heat up the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven then place the roast in it.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme and sage then brown the meat well on each side.
- Add the red wine and only 2 cups of the beef broth to the pan. Bring up to a boil, then cover and let the meat slow cook for about one hour or until the roast is done.
- Add the sliced carrots, celery and onions all around the roast.
- Pour the rest of the beef broth into the pot, cover and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Slice the meat and transfer onto a warm serving plate with the vegetables
- Reduce any remaining cooking juice and serve along with the roast.
Notes: The internal temperature of the roast should be 180F when done.
Enjoy and buon appetito!
Recommended items for this recipe: Lodge Color EC6D43 Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven, Island Spice Red, 6-Quart