This is a healthy sauce with lots of vitamins and flavor!
- 3 cups fresh spinach, washed
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Combine all ingredients, except the walnuts in a food processor (or blender).
- Puree until smooth. Stop the food processor often and scrape down the sides.
- Pour into a pasta bowl.
- Stir in the walnuts.
- Add al dente linguine or fettuccine.
- Stir until well coated.
Note: For an added twist, add a 1/4 cup of Gorgonzola cheese and freshly grated nutmeg.
This is a great make ahead sauce. I like to make it in large batches and freeze in 1 cup serving sizes. If you have last minute company for dinner pull out this sauce and boil the water for pasta. Your meal will taste fresh and be attractive. Add some garlic bread and you have an impressive meal.
Because you don't need to cook the sauce it is perfect for a hot summer day. Be certain to wash your spinach thoroughly. As long as you use good food safety practices you should not have any problems.
If you experiment with the recipe and add Gorgonzola cheese try pistachios instead of walnuts.