Scungilli Salad Recipe
This dish is an annual favorite of Christmas Eve.
Each year when the Laurita family gathers around my mother-in-law's table for the Feast of Seven Fishes Scungilli Salad is served. It is one of my favorite dishes. In many areas of the country you can get fresh or frozen scungilli. This recipe features canned scungilli.
- 29 oz can scungilli
- 2 cups celery, sliced about 1/4"
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 cup black, California olives, pitted and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- salt to taste
- Drain the scungilli and clean by rinsing under cold water.
- Check for any cartilage.
- Slice the cleaned scungilli thinly and lengthwise. You want them bite size, but too tiny.
- Toss the sliced scungilli, celery, olives, garlic, and pepper in a large bowl. Add oil, lemon juice, parsley, and toss.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
Did You Know?
Cameos were traditionally carved by Italian artisans along the sea coast. During the reign of Queen Victoria in England cameos became the fashionable remembrance from one's Grand Tour of Italy, and other areas of Europe. They would return from their journey with Italian carved conch shell cameo necklaces, rings, and earrings.
Bella Italian Food Recommends
La Monica Scungilli (Sliced Conch) - 6.5oz. Can
The perfect way to try scungilli. This can will allow you to make a small salad and discover a new dish. It's also perfect for using in pasta dishes. Substitute the scungilli for clams.
You Should Also Read:
Fried Calamari Recipe 1
Fried Calamari Recipe 2
Baccalà Fritte -- Fried Cod Recipe
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.