This creamy tomato sauce will send a tingle down to your toes.
This is one of my favorite tomato sauces. Don't skimp on the quality of the vodka you use. You will taste the difference.
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 14 oz can plum tomatoes
- 1 Tbs heavy cream
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 2 Tbs butter
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil.
- Add the onion, oil and a sprinkling of salt. Cook the onion until soft and beginning to caramelize, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and their juices, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add heavy cream, and remove from heat.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook until al dente.
- Add vodka, a few grinds of pepper, and buttter to the skillet. Stir until the butter is melted.
- Add the pasta and toss.
- Serve with parmesan cheese and freshly ground black pepper.
Try this spicy pasta recipe that features luxurious seafood: Lobster Fra Diavolo
Bella Italian Food Recommends
City Secrets: Rome, by Robert Kahn
Organized by area, this insider's guide reveals the art, architecture and antiquities of Rome through the eyes of those who know them best. A renowned painter shows the way to an overlooked masterpiece; an archaeologist walks the reader through an intriguing ancient ruin; a Renaissance scholar tells which of Michelangelo's works he finds the most moving of all; a poet laureate imparts the address of a gourmet cheese shop wiht its own pizzeria; and an acclaimed director sets the stage for an ideal Roman afternoon.