Chickpeas Cookbook Book Review
|Title:||Chickpeas: Sweet and Savory Recipes from Hummus to Dessert|
|No. of Pages:||128|
Who knew there were so many things that can be made with chick peas (garbanzo beans). Although the popularity of these beans has skyrocketed with the trend toward hummus – which is available now in every country, in every grocery store, and on almost every restaurant menu – it may be surprising that chick peas can be used in appetizers, soups and stews, main dishes, and even desserts. It has for the last few years been on every list of superfoods, but many don’t realize that they have been popular for centuries in Middle Eastern and Asian countries. Chick peas are an essential ingredient in many tagines and exotic Moroccan dishes, and are a substitute for meat in dozens of vegetarian dishes. Delta Airlines offers a vegetarian sandwich on its London flights that includes chick peas with curry and chutney; frankly, it's quite good (good, of course, when referring to airplane food is relative, but this one is actually edible). Chick peas are often used in Indian vegetarian foods, too, and they seem to go well with the highly spiced curries served in India and other parts of the world.
So why is this book one that should be in every kitchen?
- There are over 70 yummy sounding recipes.
- The book has gorgeous pictures.
- There is a huge variety of recipes, ranging from appetizers, snacks, soups, salads, main dishes, and desserts.
- The instructions for each recipe are concise and easy to follow.
- Many of the recipes are vegetarian.
- Dozens of recipes are gluten free.
- Each recipe has an explanation, vignette, or timesaving hint.
- There are recipes from countries from all over the world, and surely something for everyone.
This cookbook is fun, readable, and has lots of excellent recipes. It is highly recommended for every kitchen.
Special thanks to NetGalley for supplying a review copy of this cookbook.
This book may be purchased at Amazon:
Chickpeas: Sweet and Savory Recipes from Hummus to Dessert
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.