The official drink of the Kentucky Derby is the Mint Julep, which is composed partly of Kentucky bourbon and mint. Those same ingredients are used in the following crunchy relish that is incredibly good served over grilled salmon. Grilled Salmon with Derby Day Mint Julep Relish is the perfect dish to serve on Derby Day, always held on the first Saturday in May. Of course, you’ll want to wear a special designer hat to eat this delicious dish, and preferably you’ll eat it while watching the Kentucky Derby.
The relish can be made a day or two ahead, so it’s very convenient. Leftovers can be served as a relish for grilled burgers
1 diced medium red onion
1 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup Kentucky Bourbon
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
2 diced cucumbers
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1 pound salmon fillet, cut into four serving pieces
Your Favorite Seasoning Salt, preferably a spicy one
- Relish Place the diced red onion in a glass bowl.
- Mix the vinegar, bourbon, sugar, salt, and black peppercorns in a microwave-safe glass container; microwave 3 minutes, stir to dissolve the sugar, and microwave an additional 2-3 minutes until boiling.
- Pour the boiling mixture over the onions.
- Stir, then let sit until cool.
- When the onions are cool, add the cucumbers, red bell pepper, and mint.
- Stir, cover, and refrigerate until well-chilled.
- Salmon Sprinkle the salmon pieces with your favorite seasoning (we like Olde Thompson Fish & Seafood Seasoning).
- Heat a gas or charcoal grill; grill the salmon just until cooked through, turning once during cooking.
- To serve, place a piece of salmon onto each of four serving plates; spoon a generous serving of the relish (drained) over each fillet and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 338 Calories from Fat 87
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 26% Protein 29% Carb. 34%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 74 mg
Sodium 1566 mg
Total Carbohydrate 29 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 25 g
Vitamin A 23% Vitamin C 69% Calcium 0% Iron 7%